Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Distractions

Sometimes, I just want to try to get out of my head.
It's not easy.
In case you haven't noticed from this blog, I'm a thinker.  A planner.  A worrier.
I exhaust myself (and I really exhaust my husband).

And Lydia is constantly on my mind.

Even if I seem to be having a normal conversation, she's right there.
(Which is, by the way, why you should never hesitate to bring up my daughter in conversation with me.  Some people say they are worried about making the grieving person feel worse.  Believe me, there is no worse.  And believe me, there is never a moment they are not on our minds.  And believe me, we appreciate you acknowledging our sons and daughters and our pain). 

So at night, Justin and I usually snuggle up for a bit of tv.
We have to be careful right now.
The Mindy Project?  She's an obgyn, this is dangerous territory.
Parenthood?  One of my favs but a character is pregnant.
How I Met Your Mother?  Should be safe, right?  

WRONG.

Spoiler alert: sorry if you haven't watched the series finale yet but it was a while ago, so I am hoping I am safe here... If not, skip this part.

Characters get pregnant.
Characters who don't even WANT their babies.
Early on, they announce the pregnancy.
And 8 or 9 months later, they're all happy and smiley with a baby in their arms.
They're all in love with their new baby.

If only it were that easy.  I want to yell at the tv, "THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT WORKS!" 

Where are the miscarriages?  Where are the stillbirths?   Where are the dead babies??

And why can't I get a fucking break?  Why can't I even be distracted for a short while without all of these happy pregnancy and births being thrown in my face?

If you've watched any good tv series, which do not picture any pregnant women or babies, I'd be happy to have suggestions.

6 comments:

  1. I am 97% sure there are no pregnancies or babies in Greek (the entire series is on Netflix). It's a very guilty pleasure, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I know that feeling so well. That season of Project Runway (one of my absolute favorites) right after Luke was born, they had an episode WHERE THEY HAD TO MAKE BABY CLOTHING. Like, they have NEVER done ANYTHING of the sort, and of course, my baby died, and YEP, THEY DID IT.

    I was pissed.

    Hmmmm. Shows that are probably safe? I would say Project Runway now, considering they already got that ONE baby episode out of the way?

    I would say dumb shows--like Comedy Central shows--I remember watching a LOT of Workaholics. Tosh.0. Things that were mindless and stupid-funny? Also, movies that I knew really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched all of Greek. No pregnancies, no babies, but I don't see Heather getting into it. Gossip Girl I think is pretty safe. Again, not a Heather show.... I would say you'd get into Gilmore Girls, but I think that would be a tearjerker. Early seasons of Friends -- those start streaming on Netflix on New Year's Day. Most episodes of New Girl are safe... Nashville is not right now. How about Downton Abbey? The first season at least. Oh, Good Wife. I love the Good Wife. And as far as I can remember, there are no Good Wife babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Girl is pretty safe. I think there's ONE episode where Cece finds out she doesn't have many good eggs left and sort of freaks out about having a baby, but other than that, YES. It's good comedy.

    I definitely caught up on tons of old Friends episodes too when I was depressed. The earlier seasons were totally fine, but be careful once you get to the season where Rachel gets pregnant (The season where Monica and Chandler get married). That one was a bit too much for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Wife is great. I watched a lot of Friday Night Lights and Say Yes to the Dress and the first season of Veronica Mars is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love New Girl except the last episode I watched, they were at a baby shower. Not that the episode was even about a baby, it was just the shower, but I still felt like I couldn't get a break!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox