Sunday, December 7, 2014

Lydie's Tree

We keep hearing from people that we need to find ways to honor our daughter, to keep her with us.  That's a hard thing to wrap your head around when you're still pretty shocked that this is all happening. 

We set up our Christmas tree last weekend.  I think Justin and I would be fine to just ignore Christmas all together.   But Ben deserves to have a Christmas.

I pulled out the "L" ornament I had made for Lydie.
I pulled out the "Baby's First Christmas" ornament that Oma Jo had bought Lydie.

This is not what I pictured.

Instead of putting them on our big tree, we decided that Lydie deserves her own tree.

And hence, here's Lydie's tree.

A friend of mine, whose daughter died when she was 5 days old, told me that he still wanted to buy gifts for her after she died.  I asked, "Like what?  What do I buy my dead daughter?"

And now I know: Christmas ornaments.  For our Christmas baby.

I love the idea of this tree becoming more and more full every year.  When Lydie would have been turning one, turning two, turning fifteen.  It will continue to grow.

A day or two later, at daycare, someone - someone we don't even know - gave us a gift.  Actually, the director passed on the gift, and said she hoped it was okay to do so.  It is more than okay!  It is so appreciated. 




I may just keep this tree up year round.


3 comments:

  1. I love your idea for Lydie's tree. What a wonderful way to remember her each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig picked out an ornament for Lydie, which I'll give you on Thursday. It's a very poignant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were given a beautiful ornament with Sadie's name and date of delivery on it. It is a star, and it hangs on a light in our living room. I love the idea of getting her an ornament every year. My mom and dad always gave us Christmas ornaments, and they are such precious memories from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox