Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What I didn't know about grief

All senses are heightened.
Voices are loud.  They hurt my head.
Crowds are a big blur. I feel like I am drowning in them.
Lights - especially flashing ones- make me feel like I'm tripping.  Or sometimes, like I can't breathe.

I wonder if this is how people with autism feel.

I've been a bit protected by these heightened senses in the last two months as I've mostly hunkered down in my Fortress of Solitude.  Now, as I slowly start to integrate myself back into society (I am turning down lunch invitations but I have to go to work everyday), I find this part of grief makes it hard to function normally.

I can tell my sister she's talking too loud.  I can't exactly tell my coworker.

1 comment:

  1. Sure you can, if it's someone you see frequently. No one wants to make your day, your life, any harder than it has to be.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox