Monday, June 15, 2015

The Lydie Stone... on Glow in the Woods

Today, my husband Justin is published over at Glow in the Woods.  This site has been a haven for both Justin and me since Lydia died.  The website describes itself as, "For parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds.  In the beginning you stagger, disoriented, through this storm.
We want to be a glow through the trees, a golden refuge of log and glass.... this will be a place where us medusas can take off our hats, none minding the sight of all the snakes. Because not only can we bear the sight of each other—we crave it.  Babylost mothers and fathers, this place is yours."

Justin wrote about the "Lydie stone" he's been carrying in his pocket since he bought it for Lydia, wrapped it for her, placed it under the tree, and unwrapped it himself on Christmas Day.  I've mentioned it a few times on here, how I appreciate being able pull it out of Justin's pocket for family photos, use it to represent our girl.  How my heart aches (or melts?  Both I think) when I see Benjamin kiss it gently.  How it's a tangible way to show she's always with us.  How Justin has become really, really attached to this stone.


I don't think my husband ever considered himself a writer, but he's certainly found his voice lately.  And there are not too many grieving dads that are willing to write about their emotions and share those emotions with others.  I'm proud of him.

If you'd like to read more of Justin's writing, the Bereaved Families of Ontario has also published some (and he is not even Canadian!)  I've mentioned that we both wrote letters to Lydie, which we read at her memorial.  Mine is here, Justin's is here.

3 comments:

  1. I love that Justin is involved in processing his grief - you don't always see that with the Dads and I just adore that he carries this stone with him and how much it means to him. It's very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lydie's stone but hate that it exists. I really appreciate the Dad voices. My husband is very open with his grief privately and it helps to hear how other men feel, esp when society asks "so how's your wife?" Instead of acknowledging Dad's intense grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. Glad he is able to express his grief

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox