Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Cuddle Cot in Honor of Lydie

Today, Lydie would be 10 months old.  We should be planning her first birthday party, lining up her monthly photos to make a banner.  Since that is not the case, Justin and I are working on another project in her honor.

We are raising funds to buy a Cuddle Cot for St. Ann's Hospital, where Lydie was born.  We only got one short afternoon with our daughter before we had to say goodbye.  In that short time, we counted her ten perfect fingers and ten perfect toes, read to her Wherever You Go, My Love will Find You, wrapped her in the blanket I had crocheted for her, kissed her and told her again and again how much we love her.   We will always wish we had more time.

A cuddle cot is a cooling system in a bassinet that allows parents of stillborn babies to spend more time with them.  One cot costs close to $3000, and can give the "gift of time" to many other grieving parents.   The Labor and Delivery staff at St. Ann's is very excited to have this donation, knowing it will be used far too often, and the gift will be dedicated with a plaque bearing Lydie's name.  We hope to make the donation around Lydie's first birthday on November 6th.




We've set up a fundraising website here: www.youcaring.com/lydiewelliver

Please do not feel pressured to donate.  A simple share or "like" or comment on social media also helps this campaign by reaching a broader audience.  

I've met several other women running similar campaigns, and we hope to be able to place Cuddle Cots in every city in Ohio, not just Columbus.  The Public Affairs staff is also interested in pitching this story to the media.  So stay tuned!

If any other baby loss friends are also interested in starting their own Cuddle Cot campaign, I'd be happy to talk with you about how you can do so!

As always, thank you for the support of our family.

(And also, it may go without saying, but I am desperately hoping we will not be making use of this Cuddle Cot ourselves.)

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing and just so so brutiful. The way to honor Lydia is incredible and it just breaks my heart wide open to think of other deviated families reading her name as they get that special and heartbreaking time with their baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I had no idea this was even in existence. This gives me hope that our hospital will also get one someday. What a beautiful gift in Lydie's honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried to share on FB, but it didn't seem to work. I will try again later. This is really great. I'm really pissed off that our hospital (I'm pretty sure the biggest and best known maternity hospital in the UK, or close) didn't have this. I slept with N through the night and woke up to a baby that was fast fading away. Beautiful still, but fading before my eyes. We should have had one of these. Maybe one day I'll do the same as you, but I can't face even contacting the hospital right now. Maybe when our rainbow is cooking and I have no choice! Well done and love to you all

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox