Friday, February 5, 2016

Sharing Lydie's Story on NPR

Yesterday, I was invited to a presentation of more Cuddle Cots to area hospitals.  I was feeling crappy, as was Ben, and wasn't going to go, but then I worried that I would regret it.  I am always appreciative of the time and space to speak about Lydie, and I didn't want to miss an opportunity to do that.  So we bucked up, donned our "work clothes" (quoting Benjamin), and off we went.

I'm glad we made the effort.  The local NPR station was there, and just as we were getting our coats on to leave, they asked to interview me.  Caught me by surprise and I wish I would have managed to say "you know" less (apparently that's my space-filler?) but I am honored to have the opportunity to share my daughter and raise awareness of stillbirth.

You can listen and read here:

http://wcbe.org/post/local-health-officials-and-parents-form-standards-families-stillborns


Columbus is the first major city that has Cuddle Cots in every single hospital.  It's ground-breaking, really, and I'm so glad that my work, as well as the financial support from family, friends, and even strangers, has made this possible.

And I also wish we had the chance to use a Cuddle Cot.  I wish we had more time with Lydie.  I wish Justin had bathed her.  I wish I had sang to her "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine."  I wish there were some moments that I would have been able to stop crying while she was in my arms.  I wish we didn't have to witness our daughter deteriorate.  I wish the image of her face wasn't already blurry in my mind, not quite 15 months later.

A few days ago, Benji, Josie, and I met the two nurses that delivered both my daughters for a playdate and then lunch.  Between breastfeeding our babies, wiping noses, squeezing ketchup packets, and hauling toddlers to the bathroom, we talked about our time with Lydie.  I said I have some regrets, but that I was operating in such shock.  That no one should ever be asked whether they would like to cremate or bury their child while they are in labor.  They asked me what those regrets are, how they could help other parents have fewer regrets.  I told them that when I was asked how much pain I wanted to feel in labor and how mentally present I wanted to be, I had no idea.  How mentally present would you like to be when delivering your dead child?  I could have really used some guidance there, because now I know the answer: VERY.  Very mentally present, please lay off the morphine.   I told them about how Justin burst into tears when he read how another dad gave his stillborn baby a bath.  How Justin had always planned to give Lydie her baths just like he bathes Ben.  How he realized Lydie had one bath in her life and he wasn't the one to do that.  How nothing will ever change that regret for him, how it's something we just didn't think of at the time.  How maybe a nurse saying, "Hey, would you like to help me clean up your child?" would make a big difference in that father's life.

I'm not criticizing these nurses.  They are incredible.  They were so compassionate in their care of both Lydie and me.  They asked to be with me for Josephine's birth, and they were just as compassionate with me in those highly emotional moments.  They have played such an important role in our family's story; I will always hold them so close to my heart and I am so glad we have become friends.

But when you haven't experienced those moments yourself, it's hard to know how to handle them.  And when you are experiencing those moments, you are in such a level of shock.  You are making impossible decisions about things that have never crossed your mind.

The nurses asked both Justin and I to be on a panel to help educate other nurses.  I can't wait.  I'm so glad they are looking for opportunities to do better.

Thirty years ago, stillborn babies were whisked away without their parents even seeing them because it was believed that would be too traumatic.

Fifteen months ago when Lydie was born, not one Ohio hospital had a Cuddle Cot.  Now they are in every single Columbus hospital.

Things are changing, and Lydie's part of that change.












6 comments:

  1. NPR celebrity status: I'm in awe! but seriously, I love how much good you're doing in Lydie's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe, too! NPR celebrity for sure and you're kinda my hero for that. Especially speaking on the topic of our babies. It's something you advocate well for and I'm totally proud of you and your efforts. It's wonderful that all your area hospitals have Cuddle Cots and to think that parents will have that as a norm in a time that is SO out of the norm (or so they think until they read our stories). So glad you put on work clothes. Because shoot, you wouldn't be on NPR otherwise! And congrats for being asked to speak on that panel. You're giving BLMs a very good name and Lydie would be so freaking proud of her parents and their courage to fight forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome, Heather :)

    I love that you are helping to educate the medical professionals involved in the care of stillborn babies and their families. I'm not sure we would have used a Cuddle Cot with Josie. It's one of my regrets, the amount of time I spent with her due to the shock and fear and horror of it all, but it would have been nice to have had that option, and I think that's the most important piece. Loss families should be awarded with the best care and the most options because the most important decision, whether or not to bring our babies home, was made for us.

    Love all that you are doing in Lydie's name. So proud to call you a friend.

    Love,
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you had more time with your Lydie. I had 17 days with my Heidi. It's never enough. How could it be? We should be feeling their arms around us, seeing them smile and cry, watching them grow.

    I never heard of a cuddle cot. What a great idea to ease a tradgic time and allow families to spend more time with their lost little ones. I am sure Lydie's spirit is smiling down upon you. How wonderful to do such good in her name. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound exactly how you did in my head :)
    GREAT job, don't know how you did all that without crying, i had a lump in my throat just listening x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so, so cool. I've never heard of Cuddle Cots and I'm going to see what I can do to bring them to Denver.

    I have SO many regrets about the time I had with Q. I regret that I only held her when I was so high on morphine that I don't remember it well and the whole experience seems foggy. I regret not bathing her. I regret not holding her again the next morning and not feeling like I could ask to do that. I regret not bathing her. But you are right - how do you make decisions like we had to face in the midst of losing your child? And you just don't know what you want unless you've been through it. Sigh.

    I'm going to listen to your interview now...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox